Saturday, July 13, 2013

Craving Cowboys

Thanks for stopping by on the SCP Wester Romance Blog Hop. I'm giving away a copy of my cougar/cowboy romance Saddle up and a $10 GC to SCP to a lucky commenter.

So what do you love about cowboys? I blame Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights. Before anyone jumps all over me about him being a not being a "cowboy", let me explain. The character does come from Texas which is totally cowboy territory. When I pictured a cowboy for my story, swaggering in his tight jeans and cowboy boot, calling you "ma'am" in a way that makes you shiver and not like your someone's mom, and riding a horse without a shirt on, I picture him. 

Because let's face it, he's beautiful and who wouldn't want to picture him. In my story, Saddle Up, Devin Grant the main character is based on him and he's wonderful. He makes Tasha Lane, an uptight woman from the East fall hard before she ever knew what hit her. Isn't that delicious???

So what do you like about cowboys????

Saddle Up excerpt:

“Hello.” Tasha fumbled around in the dark to answer the phone, spilling a glass of water all over the floor in her haste.
“Hello. Am I speaking to Natasha Lane?”
“Do you know what time it is? Who is this?”
“I’m sorry for the lateness, ma’am. My name is Devin Grant. I own the Double Barrel Ranch. Your brother, Dave, has been working for me this past month.”
“Oh. My. God. What happened? Is David alright?” Tasha felt like her heart was going to explode out of her chest.
“He will be. His horse threw him earlier today when it was spooked by a rattler. He broke his leg in three places and had to have surgery. He is resting right now.”
She felt like she was paralyzed.  She was hearing the words that Devin was saying, but it felt like he was talking to someone else. She was numb. David had been hurt. He was the rock in the family. If something needed to be fixed, you called David.  If you were in trouble, you called David. He was always there for his family. Except for one month every summer, he flew to Colorado and worked on a ranch.  He loved it.  It was so different than working in a bank.  Last month, he decided to quit his job and move to the ranch permanently. The rest of the family didn’t understand, but Tasha did. 
“How can you leave me alone with Mom and Paul?” Tasha had joked with him while choking back the tears. She would miss him so much.
“You’re just worried about how you will have to start hiring someone when things break around here. You’re not going to miss me, you’re going to miss my tool belt.”
“You know, you’re right. Just hand me those yellow pages out there. With the rate that things break in this house, I’m going to have to find someone and put them on speed dial.” 
She stared at her brother as her heart was breaking. “You will be careful, won’t you? It’s a hard life you’re choosing to live.”
“Careful is my middle name. Now come and give your little brother a hug.” He enveloped her in a huge bear hug.
“You know that this is going to make me happier than I’ve ever been before, right?”
Tasha nodded, not trusting her voice. The next day he was on a plane for the ranch.
“Natasha. Natasha. Are you still there?
The voice on the phone broke her out of her revelry
“Yes, yes.  I’m still here,” she whispered in a small voice.
“I’ve arranged a plane ticket to be available for you at the USAir terminal. Do you think that you could be ready and at the airport in two hours?”
“What? What are you saying?”
“I figured that you’d want to come here and see how he is for yourself. So I bought you a plane ticket. It’s waiting for you. The only thing is that it’s in two hours. It was the only flight available. You’re really going to have to pack quickly if you want to make it.”
“I don’t know what to say. It is extremely generous of you.”
“Ma’am, you’re brother is my friend. I know that the two of you are close. He’s always talking about you. Sometimes I feel we’ve already met from the stories that he tells. He’s going to want to see you when he wakes up.”
“I can’t thank you enough. I’ll make the flight. You’re going to have to give me the hospital information. I’ll go there the minute I land.”
“I’ll be at the airport waiting to bring you to the hospital myself.”
“Ok. So I’ll see you in a few hours. Oh, and by the way, Mr. Grant, if you call me ma’am one more time, I might have to kick your ass despite your generosity.”
“Not a problem, sweetness. I’ll tussle with you anytime you want. See you at the airport.”
Tasha stared at the phone for a few minutes after he disconnected. What did he mean by that? Could he have been flirting with her over the phone? Nah! Just her mind playing tricks on her. 
Two hours later, she was sitting in first class and on her way to Colorado to make sure that her brother was all right and to meet the intriguing Mr. Grant. 

11 comments:

  1. Of course the tight jeans, cowboy hat and the boots... But i also love that southern drawl. They're loyal and stubborn...

    caiidynsmommie(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's not to love about a cowboy? They're strong, take no guff...and the jeans...yowza. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up thinking Roy Rogers was the most strong and bold cowboy there ever was. Now I am telling my age. Today when I see the image of a cowboy..it's more romantic like tight jeans, boots and a hat standing by a horse or in some cases a big fancy pick up truck but they still have that wonderful manner of saying those very polite words and I think that is just the tip of the iceberg. There is so much to like about a cowboy. sue Leech garysue47@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I love them because there aren't any cowboys here in England.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love anything about a cowboy from his tight jeans to his low riding cowboy hat! Love your cover and finding new authors. Thanks for the giveaway
    zipstersclue04 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I like cowboys, not only because they're sexy, but because they always look so manly. Plus, John Travolta..lol...he was the sexiest cowboy in Urban Cowboy...If you don't like cowboys, then just watch that movie...you'll walk away drooling....Great excerpt...Good luck with the blog hop....

    ReplyDelete
  7. He sure is a cutie. I think Christian Kane makes a sexy cowboy. There is just something about him that makes my heart melt...LOL
    I really loved the excerpt and am on my way to put it on my wish list.
    koonie2888 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What do I like about cowboys? Oh, boy. Where to start. I love the Texas drawl, and oh, yeah... definitely being called ma'am. A "yes, ma'am" guy with a Texas accent came into the library once when I was working the circ counter. I couldn't stop blushing the whole time I checked out his books (and you know his books weren't the only think I checked out!) The cowboy hats, boots and tight blue jeans do it for me too. And a naked tanned muscled up chest never hurts either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was there a winner? Just checking!

    ReplyDelete