Monday, November 29, 2010

A new appreciation for people who will be cold this winter

Yesterday, after coming home from The Christmas Spectacular with the Rockettes, I noticed that my house was pretty chilly.  At first, I blamed it on the fact that my husband likes to sleep with a window open.  Another bad sign was that there was no hot water.  So I armed myself with a flashlight and went into a section that I rarely visit.  The oil tank section and much to my horror.  The oil gauge read empty. 

I immediately called the oil company.  They wanted an extra one hundred dollars to come out on a Sunday.  Forget that, I thought to myself.  How cold could it really get inside the house?  I didn't really need a shower before going to work.  I could sponge it and put the hair up in a twist.  So thinking that I was doing the smart thing, I snuggled with the husband in bed early.  Can you say that it was 50 flipping degrees in the house this morning?  I thought that my hands and feet were going to fall off.

By the time that I got to work, the oil company called and told me that my order was being processed.  Was it ok for them to charge my card? A company that I have been with for over 5 years was asking me to pre-pay for my oil.  No offense, I was told, just policy.  What if I hadn't been able to come up with the money?  Would they have let me freeze?  I'm thinking, yes.

I am saddened by this.  How many inner city children that I work with every day will be cold this winter?  How many of them will count on the 6 hours that they are in school to be warm and fed 2 meals?

I guess the point is that even with my meager resources, I am thankful that I have them.

Peace out,
MRD

1 comment:

  1. Sad isn't it. We had the same problem with our heat last year and they wanted $150 extra to come out on Saturday. I said see ya Monday.

    ReplyDelete