Monday, January 3, 2011

Reality Bites

Back to reality today, my vacation is over and it's back to work I go. This past week was wonderful. It was unusually drama-lite, which I will take anytime. I didn't do anything special but relax at home. The most strenuous thing I did was shovel the driveway on Monday. I probably ate way too much food and drank way too much wine but isn't that what vacations are for? I did a great amount of writing this week also without the benefits of being stressed by it. My manuscript has been revised and edited. The editor suggested that I put more "meat" in the story. So, I have taken out a lot of the back story about he heroine's ex-husband and replaced it with a phone conversation between the two of them. I also think that I am going to write another chapter to wrap everything up. It might end up being two chapters, I have come up with some other ideas for my two characters. The question is when is done, really done?

So back to reality. The alarm clock woke me up which is the first sign of reality after a vacation. I did not think about work at all this week. All of my colleagues were posting on Facebook that last few day about all of the work that they have been doing. Me, I didn't do a thing. Is that bad? Who cares? I know that I have a lot of work waiting for me but I will accomplish it during the hours of 8-2. If I am feeling especially guilty, I will bring some home.

One of my non-spoken "I wills.." is do write every day. Understand that it has become a priority in my life. It is something that I enjoy doing. So I will write tonight (not just blog) despite how much work that I have.

I also will be stopping by my mother's house after work. She told me, it was the least I could do on my birthday. I believe that on your birthday, it's other people's job to do "the least that they could do". So as my nephew C used to say, "WHATEVER!"

Reality- pack my lunch, iron my clothes, eat breakfast, take a shower, and drive 17 miles to work. I will do all of these things before 7 am.

Peace Out,
MRD

4 comments:

  1. Have a happy happy birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my friend. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your morning sounds too similar to mine except substitute iron clothes (honestly, what's an iron!?) for feed and change baby and that's exactly my day before 7 am too!!

    Happy birthday!! Hope it turns out to be WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete